Interventional radiology uses minimally-invasive image-guided procedures to both diagnose and treat diseases in nearly every organ system. By using the least invasive techniques currently available, the risk to the patient is minimized and health outcomes are improved. Interventional radiology procedures have less risk, less pain and less recovery time in comparison to open surgery.
Approximate Total Scans/Exams Performed Annually
Transarterial Chemo Embolization
The Division serves all five JDMI sites: Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Sinai Health, Women’s College Hospital and the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. 9 full-time Vascular and Interventional radiologists staff the Division.
With the exception of the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and Women’s College Hospital, all sites are equipped with the state-of-the-art angiographic units: four at the Toronto General (one room contains a mutislice CT for advanced oncological and vascular interventions), one each at Toronto Western and Sinai Healths. Interventional rooms are equipped with C-arm fluoroscopy and color flow Doppler ultrasound units.
We have multiple ongoing clinical trials, both investigator driven and industry sponsored.
Our Vascular Interventional procedures include:
- Angiography, Angioplasty (Balloon/Stent) and Embolization
- Abdominal and Thoracic Aneurysm Repairs (EVAR/TEVAR) including advanced endografting techniques
- Endoleak management
- Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Central Venous Access Devices; Hickman Lines, Portacath, Dialysis Lines
- IVC Filter insertion and Removal
- Dialysis Access (AV graft/fistula) intervention including angioplasty, thrombolysis, and embolization
- Transarterial Chemo Embolization (TACE) and Transarterial Radioembolization (Y90)
- Portal vein embolization
- Balloon pulmonary angioplasty for Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension (CTEPH)
- Management of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and venous recanalization
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Gonadal and ovarian vein embolization
Our Non-Vascular Interventional procedures include:
- Percutaneous tumor ablation; Radiofrequency, Microwave and Irreversible Electroporation
- Feeding tube (Gastrostomy) insertion and management
- Nephrostomy, renal stone extraction and stent insertions
- Biliary Drainage and Stenting
- Cholangioscopy and minimally invasive biliary stone extraction
- Abdominal biopsies
- Esophageal stent insertion
We have a 1-year clinical Vascular & Interventional Radiology Fellowship, as well as 2-year position that includes a 1-year Black Family Interventional Radiology Research Position. We have recently received RCPSC approval to start a 2-year Interventional Radiology Residency.