- October 1967 to May 1972. MBBS, Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China.
Qualifications, Certifications and Licenses
- American Board of Radiology in Diagnostic Radiology, June 1980
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Diagnostic Radiology,
- November 1979; FRCPC
- Medical doctor licence, Maine, USA, June 1977;
- University of Hong Kong, MBBS, May 1972
- Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Imaging, University of Toronto, beginning July 2008.
- Courtesy Staff Radiologist, Women’s College Hospital, beginning July 2007.
- Staff Radiologist, University Health Network, Mount Sinai Hospital, beginning October 2005.
Distinctions and Research Awards
- Initial experience with Contrast Enhanced Spectral Mammography (CESM) in a multimodality state-of-the-art breast imaging facility. Ghai S, Au F, Fleming RP, Crystal P.
- Educational poster presented in Radiological Society of North America, 101 st Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, Nov 29 – Dec 4, 2015. Awarded Cum Laude award.
- R. Samuel McLaughlin Fellowship, University of Toronto, Canada, January 1 to June 30, 1981.
Peer Review Activities
- Jan 2021 to present; Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine (JUM)
- Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine; Dec 2016 to present
- Ultraschall in der Medizin/European Journal of Ultrasound; January 2015 to present
- Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal, July 2009 to present
Letter to the editor RAD-23-0517, entitled Rebuttal to the LET to be paired with RAD-23-0376, entitled Contrast Enhanced Mammography: Revisiting the Roots of Screening. Freitas Vivianne, Ghai Sandeep, Au Frederick, Kulkarni Supriya. Accepted for publication in Radiology (impact factor 29.15)
- Effects of delayed callback from screening mammography due to the COVID-19 pandemic
CONCLUSION: The low rate of cancer detected suggests that a delay callback may be a reasonable option for some likely benign findings when immediate […]
- False-positive incidental lesions detected on contrast-enhanced breast MRI: clinical and imaging features
CONCLUSION: Young patients, oval/round mass-lesion shape, and homogeneous pattern of non-mass enhancement showed the strongest association with […]
- Supplemental Breast Cancer Screening in Women with Dense Breasts and Negative Mammography: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
Background The best supplemental breast cancer screening modality in women at average risk or intermediate risk for breast cancer with dense breast […]
- Contralateral Breast Screening with Preoperative MRI: Long-Term Outcomes for Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer
Background The diagnostic value of screening the contralateral breast with MRI in patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer is poorly understood. […]
- COVID-19 vaccine-related axillary edema in breast imaging setting
Worldwide, many vaccines have been developed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Unilateral reactive axillary adenopathy related to the COVID-19 […]
- Tailored breast imaging during the first wave and preparedness for the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic
The pandemic caused by the new Coronavirus has changed the way patient care is provided worldwide. This review focuses on the description of the […]
- Clinical Value of Shear Wave Elastography Added to Targeted Ultrasound (Second-Look Ultrasound) in the Evaluation of Breast Lesions Suspicious of Malignancy Detected on Magnetic Resonance Imaging
CONCLUSIONS: Shear wave elastography was useful with targeted US after breast MRI to increase cancer detection by US. A significant number of US […]
- Histological Grade and Immunohistochemical Biomarkers of Breast Cancer: Correlation to Ultrasound Features
CONCLUSIONS: There was significant association of margin and posterior features of breast cancers with their histological grade and receptor status.
- An Occupational Therapy Fall Reduction Home Visit Program for Community-Dwelling Older Adults in Hong Kong After an Emergency Department Visit for a Fall
CONCLUSION: One OT visit after a fall was more effective than a well-wishing visit at reducing future falls at 6 months. A booster OT visit at 6 […]
- Quantitative shear wave elastography: correlation with prognostic histologic features and immunohistochemical biomarkers of breast cancer
CONCLUSIONS: There was significant correlation of cancer size with SWE parameters. There was significant correlation of lymph node status and LVI […]
- Fluoroscopic evaluation of oropharyngeal dysphagia: anatomic, technical, and common etiologic factors
CONCLUSION: Many important causes and presentations of oropharyngeal dysphagia are sometimes overlooked during conventional upper gastrointestinal […]
- Diagnostic performance of quantitative shear wave elastography in the evaluation of solid breast masses: determination of the most discriminatory parameter
CONCLUSION: There was a statistically significant difference in the values of the quantitative shear wave elastography parameters of benign and […]
- Guide to surgical procedures on hollow viscera: part 1--Esophageal, gastric, and restrictive bariatric procedures
CONCLUSION: An understanding of procedures on the hollow viscera is essential for radiologists at any level. The ability to quickly recognize […]
- Guide to surgical procedures on hollow viscera: part 2--Colorectal, ostomy, and malabsorptive bariatric procedures
CONCLUSION: An understanding of procedures on the hollow viscera is essential for a radiologist at any level. The ability to quickly recognize […]